Lobzowska Street drone photos and history, Krakow past and present
Lobzowska Street is located between Slowackiego Avenue, Garbarska Street and Planty Park. The name comes from the route that led, among others, along this street to Lobzow. From around 1237 in the area of Lobzowska Street there were several mills powered by the waters of the Rudawa River, fed by an artificial canal, the so-called Mlynowka Królewska.
In the archival photos below, we can observe numerous changes that have taken place over almost 100 years in the buildings, the former appearance of Lobzowska Street visually correlated more with the rural character than the typical urban one we know today. It is interesting to note that until 1966 the Młynkówka Królewska river flowed along Lobzowska Street. It flowed along the current streets, among others: Zygmunta Starego, Podchorążych (section), Artur Grottger, Łobzowska, Garbarska, Krupnicza (section), Venice, Rhetoric. An artificial channel of the Rudawa River created back in the 13th century to irrigate the moat system surrounding Krakow’s defensive walls. After 1966 it was either fully channelized or backfilled.
At the corner of Lobzowska and Biskupia streets is the Biskupia electric substation, which was built between 1908 and 1913 according to a design by Jan Rzymkowski. It is one of the first such buildings located in Cracow and is listed in the register of monuments. In 2004 the power company sold it for office and residential functions.
Also located at Lobzowska Street is the historic St. Joseph’s Care Church, built between 1903 and 1905, at the back of which you can see in our photos a magnificent garden.
Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)
Aerial photos, Lobzowska Street
Archival photos of Lobzowska Street